Fall River Real Estate’s Blog
PACKING TIPS FOR THE BIG MOVE!
IN THE BATHROOM
1. Unscrew all bottle caps on lotions, sprays, and gels and place a layer of plastic wrap over the opening before putting the cap back on.
2. Place binders clip on your razors to save yourself from annoying nicks while unpacking.
3. If you’re filling a box with a tremendous number of small things, consider using a garbage bag as a box liner. That way if it breaks you won’t be scrambling around picking up the various pieces!
4. Don’t pack everything in boxes: Leave the necessities out and just toss them in a small suitcase or tote so you’ll have it all within easy reach in the new place.
IN THE BEDROOM
5. Don’t pull clothes off the hangers just yet! Instead, zip-tie a group of in-use hangers together and wrap it all in plastic wrap before packing away. It’ll be all set to go up in your new closet within moments of moving in.
6. Keep your mattress safe and clean by putting fitted sheets on both sides before it’s loaded into the moving truck.
7. Round up pillows and blankets in garbage bags and use them as padding in the moving truck aroound your most fragile pieces.
8. Don’t bother moving light pieces out of drawers—just tape the drawer shut during the move and that’s one less thing to “unpack” upon arrival.
9. Rather than packing linens and towels in their own box, use them to wrap up fragile items like you would with bubble wrap.
IN THE KITCHEN
10. Forget newspaper for wrapping plates: Just pack foam plates between breakable ones to keep them safe.
11. And when it comes to your glasses, clean socks make for excellent padding—that you need to move anyway!
12. A safety tip that also saves space: Pot holders=knife holders.
13. Alleviate any potential “Did I forget that…” feelings by leaving drawers and cabinet doors open once you empty their contents into boxes. A quick look will reassure you that everything’s been packed!
14. Pack bottles of wine in kids’ pool floaties to keep them from breaking and spilling.
IN THE LIVING ROOM
15. You’ll likely have movers to handle the heavy furniture but if you want to get it close to the door for them, place magazines underneath each bottom corner: That will help it slide across the carpet.
16. Label your cords! A simple piece of duct tape with the name of the corresponding appliance will do, and will save you the headache of trying to match things back up.
17. Pack your books in suitcases and say goodbye to unneccessarily heavy boxes.